To build a strong workbench for your heavy woodwork projects, you can make it inexpensively. It is a hope of every woodworker to build his own woodworking equipments with less money. If you want to make a large and strong cheap torsion workbench, you have found one! The solid workbench for this project is 80 inches long x 36 inches wide x 34 inches tall.
Step 1. Prepare the tools and the materials
The tools that are being used to make this strong and sturdy workbench are:
- Brad nails and a brad nailer
- A pencil
- A square to measure
- A tape measure
- A cordless drill (to pre-drill some screw holes)
- A cordless screw gun (to drive in some screws)
- A power mitre box saw (to cut the 2×4 panels)
- The cordless tools are optional. If you want to make your work easier, you can just use them
- One wooden panel (used bench top) sized 36 x 80 inches
- Ten 2×4 wood panels sized 8 feet length
- 2 ½ inch coarse thread drywall screws
- 1 ¼ inch no.6 drywall screws
- 6 angle brackets made of steel
- ½ inch or thicker wood panel to make 76 x 32 inch shelf
Step 2. Make the workbench frames
Prepare two rectangles using 2×4 panels. The size of these two rectangles is 76 inch long x 32 inch wide. Also make four legs to stand the two rectangles. The legs are made of 2×4 panels with 32 inch length. Attach the four legs onto two rectangles as shown from the picture. One rectangle is screwed, from the bottom, on eight inches. Another rectangle is screwed with the legs’ top on flush.
Step 3. Attach the large wooden panel on to the woodwork frame
The easiest method to attach the bench top is by putting the bench top on the floor and put the woodwork frame on top with the upside down position. Place the top surface of the bench top on the floor. Place six angle brackets to attach the wood top onto the frame. Screw all sides of the brackets using #6 drywall screws. After all brackets being screwed, stand the shaker workbench straight.
Step 4. Finishing
You can add plywood onto the lower frame if you need some shelf. You can use brad nails to attach this plywood onto the lower frame. You can also place a power band onto the frame to help you with some power tools. You can also add some bench vise on the edge of the workbench.