Embrace your children’s reading hobby with this dinosaur bookend! Not only is it easy to make, it is also not complicate to do with your children. Also, through this project, you can upcycle your children’s old plastic dinosaurs and turn them into something more useful.
- Buy the plastic toy. It can be dinosaur, T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, or others based on what your children like. Although you can use any of hollow plastic toy, it is recommended to you a plastic toy of animals with four legs on the ground.
- Cut the dinosaur toy in half. To cut the plastic toy, you can use a hobby knife.
- Get a wood plank. Get your maker and divide the plank into four equal parts. The division needs to measure 10.2 cm or 4 inches in width and in height. Then, get your saw and cut the plank wood into pieces.
- Next, grab your 100 grit sandpaper and smoother the plank wood’s surface. Make sure that you eliminate all the rough edges so that your children can use the bookends safely. Smoothen all the sides of the wood planks.
- Grab your hot glue and run a line over the side pieces’ bottom part. Place one wood against the side piece’s glued bottom. Make sure every piece aligns each other perfectly. After that, let the glue dry and the pieces be attached to each other.
- Time to play with colors! This step is cool because it is the time to make the wood piece more solid and to make it like the one sold in the market. Get your primer paint and apply it to all surfaces of the pieces except the wooden bases. Once the paint is dry, apply some pain to the wooden based with the color of your choice.
- Then, grab your cut dinosaur toy and apply some glue to each half of the dinosaur toy. Apply the glue around the body of the dinosaur and also to the feet of the dinosaur.
- Then, attach the dinosaur toy to the wood piece by pressing it against the blocks and secure the attachment with hot glue. Then, let it dry. If you happen to use T-Rex, you may find it a little bit trickier as it comes with a fancy leg that is overlapping. But, it makes the bookend cooler!
- Finally, grab your children books and organize them using the dinosaur bookends.