Nail string art is one of the best artwork you can display in your room. It is inexpensive and very easy to make. Although you haven’t tried it before, you can still pull it off well because it requires zero skill. However, you still need to be patient because it can take some time, but again, it will totally worth it.
- Embroidery floss in colors you like
- Linoleum nails
- Glue gun
- A piece of wood cut with the size you want
- Hanging hardware
- Paint (optional)
- The first thing you need to do is to choose an image or words or any characters you want as your string art. You can start browsing the pattern on the internet or create it on your own and print it out. After you have got the printed pattern, you need to cut it based on the outline and place it on the woodcut. Before assembling the pattern on the wood, you need to install the hanging hardware beforehand because it will be hard to install once you are done with the string art. Just install it on the back of the wood and work with the pattern afterward.
- Secure it with tape and lightly hammer the linoleum nails along the outlines. Make sure the nails won’t stick out on the back of the wood or stick up too tall on the front. Then, you also need to make sure you give some even space between the nails. If you don’t want the wood look plain, you can apply some paint as a background. But, you will need to wait until the paint is dry enough before starting to make your string art.
- After you have outlined the patterns with nails, you can start outlining the pattern with embroidery floss. But before that, you need to remove the paper from the wood. Gently remove it so that the nails won’t fall out. To outline the pattern with string, you will need to tie a knot on the first nail and leave an inch or two so that you can tie the string when you are done later. Outline the outer part of the pattern and go to the inner part.
- You can start weaving the string back and forth. You can adjust the patterns based on your likings and going with the flow is very recommended. If you don’t like it, you can always unwind it and try again. However, you need to make sure that you double wrap the string when you want to change the direction so that the string will be tight enough. If you are running out of string, you can knot the end with the staring string you have made earlier. If you cannot do it, you can always secure the end with the glue gun and continue with a new string. You can also change the color of the string in this process. Once you are done, you can display your art on your wall.