Wood robot toy is the best DIY project to make for your kids. It is quite easy to make and it will be suitable if you want to begin your very first woodworking project. Plus, it can be a perfect project to try with your kids. You will be surprised at how this toy can be your kids’ best friend in no time.
- Table saw or router
- Forstner bit drill
- 2×4 wood board
- 2×2 wood board
- Polyurethane glue
- 80 grit sandpaper
- Accessories and paint (optional)
- Cut a mouth slit for the wooden robot. You can use either a table saw or router, and set it to cut ¼” cutting depth and set the fence at 1”. You can also make a lot of it by cutting an 8-foot long board at once.
- Cut the board to make the head, body, arms, and legs. The size for the head and the body will be 3.5” x 3.5” from the 2×4 wood board. Then, make the legs and arms from 2×2 wood board and the size will be 1.5” and you will need 4 of them to make a complete robot.
- Make the eyes with Forstner bit. It will be perfect because this type of drill will leave a small dot for the eye. You also need to make holes for the head, body, arms, and legs, because later you will assemble the robot with rope. Make a vertical hole for the head and the body, and two horizontal holes on the body. Drill the holes in the arms and legs the same way. You need to make sure that you choose the right type of drill bit so that it will fit the rope. You also need to make sure that the holes in the body don’t intersect because you won’t be able to insert the rope later on.
- Use 80 grit sandpaper to sand the wood. This type of sandpaper will be perfect for the robot because it won’t make the body of the robot too smooth. You can also make the robot more attractive by adding some accessories or colors, but it is totally optional. Don’t forget to sand the surface again after attaching the accessories and adding the paint. After you add the accessories or color, you need to spray it with polyurethane to make it safe for the kids.
- Assemble the robot by attaching the rope through the holes. Before you do that, you need to squeeze a bit of polyurethane glue on each of the holes and push the ropes in with nail. The glue is perfect for this project because it will expand once it dries and it will secure the ropes in the hole. If you cannot insert the ropes in the body, you might need to drill it again because the holes are blocked or you might need to glue the ropes in the arms and legs to make it work. Then, tie the ropes on both ends and the robot is done.