Give your or your children’s bedroom a new touch by making this barn door style headboard. This DIY headboard is going to insert new rustic feeling around the bed. This full sized headboard is super cute to be your bed’s platform. What is more, it is also super easy to make. Look at how it’s made below:
- Get two pieces of 2×6 boards and cut them to 53 inch each. These boards will function as the headboard’s end posts.
- Then, get 14 pieces of 1×4 board and cut them into 30 inch each.
- Grab your Kreg Jig to drill holes down the each board’s length. Drill the holes one at every boards’ end and facing out so that you can drill the 2×4 and 2×6 frame. After that, clamp the joints together and then attach them using 1 ¼” pocket hole screws.
- Cut two pieces of 2×4 to the length of 49 ½” to fit the planked 1×4”. These cuts will be the trim on the bottom and the top of the planks.
- Next, attach the planks to the frame. To do this step easily, you need lay down the scrap 1×4 boards and then put the plans on the top of the boards.
- After attaching the planks, attach the side 2×6 and the bottom 2×4. Next, drill the pocket holes above the attachment before you assemble the pieces.
- Next, make the barn door trim using and cutting one piece of 1×4 to 30 ¼” and two pieces cut to 35 ¼”. Cut them not parallel, from long to short point, and cut to both ends at the angle of 31.6o. Use Ryobi Airstrike nailer and wood glue to attach them.
- Make the headboard’s final pieces by cutting 1×3” to the size of 62 ¼” for one piece and another one piece of 2×4 with the size of 64 ¼”.
- Attach the 1×3 board to the headboard frame using Ryobi Airstrike nailer and wood glue. Don’t forget to leave a 1-inch overhand on the both ends. Then, flush them with the frame back. Then, attach the 2×4 using wood glue and ½” wood screws.
- Next, give your headboard some stain. Give the headboard some finish with the stain in the shade of Rust-Oleum Dark Walnut. Give the stain for one coat only and then let it dry for 5 minutes. Then, wipe the headboard clean using a clean cloth. Make sure you even all the stain.
Finally, attach the headboard to the platform frame. Attach it using wood screws.